Wednesday, May 27, 2009


I WIN.....IOLA RACE REPORT..........


The Wisconsin Off Road Series kicked off the 2009 season last weekend at the Iola Bump & Jump, hosted in the wooded singletrack of the Iola Winter Sports Club outside Iola, WI.


Having done very little training over the winter, I had fairly modest expectations, but after a decent 15 mile warmup I started to feel a little better about my chances. The weather always cooperates at Iola and it remains one of my favorite venues.


I felt fairly relaxed at the start chute... just checking over the equipment and preparing myself for what was sure to be a tough couple hours after sizing up the competition.


Don said goooo...and I made a conscious effort not to get all snap-happy right off the line. I waited until the first descent in front of the start/finish chute before going to work.


I then settled into a familiar spot for me.... right at the end of the rooted "straight shot" between the pines towards the end of the lap, but quickly got antsy when I caught a glimpse of Rusty out of the corner of my eye.

A savvy tactician , that Rusty.....I quickly latched on as he made his way to one of the most strategic areas of the race course with me in tow... a sandy turn exiting some fast singletrack on the final 1/3 of the lap is where I really started picking off the field... catching one rider after another using Rusty's ho made "tanning-tinfoil-light maker thingy"to my advantage while finding my grove and eventually ending up with the overall victory among some very tough competition.

Thanks to Claire for her time and hard work with all things WORS. She did, however spell my name wrong while giving photo credit.

Keith is spelled B.U.B.B.A.

Equipment specs....

Camera: Cannon something or other

Lens: a pretty big one

Memory card speed : no clue

Lighting: Mr. Golden Sun and Rusty's Golden Tanning Shield


Next up is WORS #2 in Rhinelander and some chick has already waged a challenge thinking she has a shot at the title.... She has no idea what she's getting herself into.











5 comments:

rusty wrycza said...

lens; yes
lens cap; off
auto-focus; off
flash; off
location, location, location

good times shootin with ya!

enjoy the rocks at RhinHunder
beware of the Hodag, and jackalope

jwm said...

plus, you're easily in the running for best post which might be mistake for a ransom note.

-jwm

amelia said...

fantastic post bubba. tom and i are still sitting here laughing.

Anonymous said...

I like good post. pictures so no have to read any.

Mountaingoat said...

You're just lucky I won't be at Rhinelander.