Tuesday, November 21, 2006


I DON'T EAT VENISON ANYWAY..........

But..........If anybody has a nice recipe for porcupine, please shoot me an e-mail.

So another deer hunting trip is in the books and I did not even get to see a buck. I did see lots of other pretty cool game including a bear, grouse, porcupines, and an otter. Saturday morning before first light, I heard something in the woods behind me that sounded like two tigers fighting over a fresh kill. Scared the shit out of me. That night when I immitated the sound for my neighbor Scott, he said " That's a fisher....I used to trap them and they made the same sound" Sounded pretty bad-ass for something so small and relatively harmless looking(reminded me of someone I know, but I won't mention any names MG)......"I used to trap them"......can you say HICK?

We stayed at Scott's summer home on the east fork of the Chippewa river just north of Winter, Wisconsin. It's a geat place with all the comforts of home. Scott is an interesting guy. He makes hand-made violins and violas for a living. Many professionals are playing his violins in symphony orchestras throughout the country. You would think someone with that type of career would be a pretty refined guy, but he is a total Clampet. He does, however get liquored up on red wine like there is no tomorrow........if that's refined???

I hunt on an ELF line (interesting article) on the southern most part of the Chequamegon national forest with Scott's brother Steve. The ELF line is wide open and provides for long range shooting..(or napping in my case). Steve has killed deer from over 250 yards while hunting on the ELF line. He has taken over 35 deer, and 2 bear from that exact spot over the last 22 years. Steve is even a bigger Clampet than Scott. Two years ago while driving to a tavern to watch the Packer game, Steve decided to do a little grouse hunting with the grill of his pick up. He swerved, hit the grouse, flipped down the tailgate, cleaned it, threw it in a freezer bag and still got served his Old Milwaukee Lite before kick-off. Now that's a hillbilly...I don't care who you are.

In between naps, I was able to read up on my wife's digital camera and experiment a little bit. I will post some pics. later.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should've shot the the bear.

Anonymous said...

Ya gotta take off the lens cap.
loserer.

Anonymous said...

Gun season...wuss. I usually hunt deer on my bike with a bowie knife, ocassionally I just wrestle them down wit ma bare hands.

DIHAF? said...

A Fisher can get nearly 4 feet in overall length. A super weasel killing machine.

I used to see them a lot bow hunting. I saw one shag a squirrel 20 feet up a tree in about a milisecond.

I decided at that point I would not care to pet one.

I have done the car grouse harvesting thing on ocassion. Usually by accident. It doesn't always work out. Like the one I forgot to take out of my trunk for 2 days and the one I hit head on at dusk at about 65 mph. I thought it was a duck initially as it sounded like a bowling ball hit the windshield.

Anonymous said...

I still do trap fishers, at least the one per year the DNR lets you get. IF you apply and pay for the chance to get a permit months earlier. Then you get to be treated like a criminal by the warden that you have to take it to to get a special tag put on itafter you've trapped it, and drilled on how, when, where, etc. you trapped the said fisher. THEN you can finally sell the pelt to the local fur buyer(which are not local anymore). THEN a year later TWO wardens will show up at your door asking all kinds of questions on the said fisher, seeing if they can get you to say someting different than what you filled out on your tag! Man, I must be hick...........thanks for letting me vent.
(please don't bring up otters)

DIHAF? said...

Those men were from the government.They were there to help.

We need to raise taxes so next time they can send 4 Barney Fifes.

Otters are cute. We have them on our lake. If I was on a trout pond I would probably take their picture eating a tasty trout and then blow their heads off with a shotgun.But since they just eat stunted perch,I can enjoy their antics and not kill them. Its a win win situation.

bubba said...

Ronk......That little bastard sounded like he was tearin' sumpthin'up BIG TIME.I sounded like it was 5 times the size.
Also..I meant "hick" in a good way.

bmxmtbfam said...

I watched a fisher one year kick the shit out of a pocipine while bow hunting. They are so friggin tough he starting eat that poci ass first. I have heard storys from the duck hunters that seen them grab ducks out of the drainage ditches.