Monday, July 24, 2006



HONEY MY ASS

Two summers ago I found out that I am allergic to the stings of yellow jackets and two kinds of hornets. Badly allergic.

A colony of yellow jackets had taken up residence on the side of my house in my vegetable garden(I fancy myself a farmer) and jacked me up but good landing me in the hospital twice within a 48 hour period. The second time with multiple stings.

Luckily my wife and my bitch were able to get me to the ER very quickly before things went too far south.

Further testing confirmed the allergies and I now am getting desensitizing injections and may need them monthly for the rest of my life. The doctor also perscribed an epipen(adreneline) and said if I am in the woods and get stung,"You better make sure you are with someone who will stab you in the thigh with it if you can't do it yourself." Scared the shit out of me.

Fast forward to yesterday..... I got stung by yellow jackets (at laest once, maybe twice) in the ankle while working in my back yard. I run in the house, grab the epipen and wait for the first signs of anaphylaxis. Nothing. A pretty swollen, very itchy ankle is the result of the latest sting(s) and I am now feeling much better knowing the bee-shots are working.

Now that I probably wont need the epipen for bee stings , I was thinking about sending it into my leg next time I get dropped in a race. With my new health insurance the co-pay on the epipen is only ten bucks. A small price to pay to move up a few spots and maybe on to the podium.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another dope....r! Russell, finish it from here.

Mountaingoat said...

I would gladly stab you in the leg. Eppy needle, rusty knife, prison shank...it doesn't matter.

Rick said...

for the record, they don't test at 24-9. Bring a 6 pack of those puppies, and let's aim for the sky.

The Shed Master said...

You'd still get waxed. Gramps always said "Ya can't make a silk purse otta a sow's ear".

DIHAF? said...

cept you are too chicken.